Money Matters (Sermon by Ptr. Clem Guillermo on Sunday, June 26, 2011 at MHF)
Common Issues About Money (Termites in Marriage)
1) Too much or lack of money -
- Proverbs 30:8-9
2) Lack of initiative/laziness
- 1 Timothy 5:8
3) Easy money/Get rich quickly
- Proverbs 28:20
- 1 Timothy 6:9
4) Over-Spending- beyond your means (Materialistic Attitude)
- Hebrews 13:5-6
5) Financial Aid to the Family of Origin
- Genesis 2:24
6) Keeping up with the Joneses
- Luke 12:15
7) Lack of Family Planning
- It is a crime to have children more than you could care for and give a decent life.
- He who plans to fail, fails to plan
The issue of marital problems regarding money is not about money… it is our attitude about money.
1) spending – sense of pleasure, driven by lust
2) storing – sense of security, driven by fear
Both are motivated by greed.
- while I don’t have the means, I am driven by an uncontrollable desire and want for things that I don’t have.
I fall into a trap: LOVE OF MONEY
1 Timothy 6:10
- strayed from the faith
- pierced oneself with many sorrows
Stewardship vs. Spender (squander) and Storer (sequester)
1 Timothy 6:17
- Trust GOD rather than MONEY.
- SHARE what you have with others.
- Lay up treasures in heaven.